Sunday, November 27, 2016

What do we do with cancer, Lord?

In the parking lot of Publix, I see an old friend.  How in the world did I know then, that God had just caused a divine appointment?  He does that in the most magical ways.
I lean in for a big bear hug, and am stopped in my tracks.  “OH no, don’t do that.  I have a port.”
It took my mind a while to process what “port” meant, when I saw the tears flow and then I realized that God had me there for just that moment.  Another minute later and we would have missed each other.
She had only found out 10 days earlier and was still in shock of it all, and it was still stinging to the touch of the sound...”I have cancer.”
What?  No, say it ain’t so!  Lord, why one of your own?  Why the pain & suffering?  She has kids, grandkids....a loving husband....so much to live for!  
The treatment starts tomorrow as the chemical enters her body for 6 hours!  She will get 2 weeks off, only to start the madness all over again...and again until her “numbers” say what the doctors want them to say...until the hair hits the bathroom floor and the tears flow once again.  Ooo the loss of it all!
I wanted to hug my friend even more...to make the pain go away, to make the tears stop, to say I am so sorry.  I guess we are all terminal.  Our days are numbered the minute we come into this world.  
I want to comfort, want to make it all better....but sometimes things don’t go the way we want.  Do we shake our fist at God?  Do we stop believing in Him because He doesn’t do what we want?
I am reminded of the worst day of my life....or actually Stacy’s life....but when it is your own child, it is so raw.
My dear sweet Stacy....the sweet one, the one who would do anything for you...THAT one.  The Lord chose to give her a child in her womb, only to take it away 5 months into it.  The heart beat was so strong, but there were complications, this little one didn’t have a chance from the git go...life was too hard before life even really began.  The heart stopped.  Stacy had to be admitted into the hospital and be induced to give birth to a dead baby.  Ooo, lets talk about the pain of it all!  It was almost too much for this Mama’s heart to bear.  The sweet little thing was cleaned up best that the nurses could do, and we all got a chance to say hello and goodbye in the same breath.  Talk about the tears that flowed that day, some 5 years ago.  Some days it seems like just yesterday.  As I am remembering it all.....ONE thing was so clear to me....GOD SHOWED UP BIG TIME!  If I hadn’t been there, I would have missed it....and I am telling you, I wouldn’t have missed it for anything....He was there HOLDing me while I was holding the baby.  It took 6 weeks to find out it was a little girl. Stacy named her Hannah Abigail Harris.  I will meet her one day, and will rock her, and play with her, and tell her how much her Majo loves her!
Now back to my friend.  The good book tells us that “in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him, and have been called according to his purpose.”  What good comes out of cancer?  Not quite sure I have all the answers, but I do know, that my friend will soon be treading in unknown territory.  She will have bad days and good days, and probably days she will shake her fist at God.  But I am praying for an unbelievable amount of his holy spirit to flood her body along with the “chemical”, to give her assurance of his all knowing presence.  I am praying for strength, for comfort, for peace, & above all HEALING!....total healing.
I serve a very BIG GOD who does BIG things....I expect nothing less!  And I pray she doesn’t “miss it”....that she doesn’t miss  Him holding her close, and leaning in so close that she could swear she can feel his breath!.....

So friend....I am just a phone call away and love ya....but HE loves you more!

No comments:

Post a Comment