Friday, May 2, 2014

A Tribute to Dear Old Mom

Mother’s Day 2014

What can I say about my sweet mama?  Where do I begin?  I can start by saying she is still alive and kicking.  She is 83 years young and is a mess.....guess who I take after?  
(higher the hair, closer to God)
She was quite the LOOKER in her day.....turned a many a head, but especially my daddy’s.  They have been married 64 years.  

Growing up, she looked like a fashion model to me.  Glenda and I would sit on the bed and watch her put her make-up on in the mornings.  Apparently there was nothing on TV.  It was quite the show.  She started out with a blank slate and ended up with a master piece and we watched the transformation before our eyes.  Mostly she applied RED lipstick and still does to this day.
church directory picture


She was a stay-at-home mom who kept a tidy little house and made the best meals I have ever had.  There was not a meal that something wasn’t fried and gravy was slapped on top.  Those were the good old days!

Today she loves a good bargain...hates to pass up a garage or estate sale. She will get dressed for church and have to tell you her whole ensemble cost her $1.25.  She is famous for her bookmarks, and always has some on hand to give out whenever she goes into Hobby Lobby. She has never met a stranger...she likes to get in their face and has spacial boundary issues!  One time at Walmart, Glenda and I lost her cause she had wandered off, so we went through the aisles saying “Silver Alert!” until we found her.  She was off talking and was in somebody’s face of course, and had handed her a bookmark, by the time we found her.  That is just how she is, and I love her to pieces for it.
I look in the mirror and see her, and when I talk, her words flow out of my mouth.   Don’t know how that happens, but it does.  When Joe tells me “You are just like your mama!”, I smile and say THANK YOU!  Can’t think of a better compliment.

So Mama, this is your day....Thank you for giving me birth, for loving me, for praying for me, and for being an excellent Christian example for this old red neck to follow....just wish I were there to hug yours.....

No comments:

Post a Comment